April 6: In a notification issued by the Election Commission of India (ECI), it was stated that the voters are required to produce Electors Photo Identity Cards (EPIC) for their identification at the polling station before casting their votes. However, those voters who are not able to produce the EPIC shall produce any one of the alternative photo identity documents as mentioned here:
- Driving License
- Service Identity Cards with photograph issued to employees by Central/State Govt/PSUs/Public Limited Companies
- Passbooks with photograph issued by Bank/Post Office
- PAN Card
- Smart Card issued by RGI under NPR
- MNREGA Job Card
- Health Insurance Smart Card issued under the scheme of Ministry of Labour
- Pension document with a photograph
- Official identity cards issued to MPs/MLAs/MLCs and
- Adhaar Card
The notification further stated that photo voter slip will no longer be accepted as a stand-alone identification document for voting at polling stations. It was stated that “The photo voter slip will not be accepted for the purpose of identification in polling station. You are required to carry EPIC or any one of the 11 alternative documents specified by the commission for voting.” In case of the overseas electors, the Commission stated that they need to produce their original passport only for identification.
It was also stated that the said order No. 3/4/ID/2019/SDR/VOL.1 dated 28 February 2019 should be translated in the vernacular language and is to be supplied to each of the Presiding Officers all polling booths.
Further, the Chief Electoral officers of all states were asked to intimate about this to all the political parties and contesting candidates.